Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

What Have I Learned So Far?

A coworker recently asked me, “What is the biggest thing I’ve learned so far being an architect out of school?”

This is somewhat of a loaded question. My first thought was, why don’t I have an immediate answer? Second, where do I even begin? On the one hand, I’ve learned so much that I feel like a different person than when I began my internship. On the other hand, I feel like more questions than answers emerge from my brain on a daily basis and maybe I was never fully prepared to enter the profession in the first place.

After a day of deliberation I came up with some possible answers:

1. NOTHING IS GUARANTEED
Whether it’s a project for the office, a job in the profession, or the night off, I’ve come to learn that nothing in this profession is guaranteed!

2. YOU CREATE YOUR OWN OPPORTUNITIES
I’ve learned that as an intern with a lot to learn, it is up to YOU make things happen for yourself. Nobody is going to hand you anything. It is your responsibility to make yourself invaluable to your employer.

3. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES
This is the feel-good lesson I’ve learned first hand as an intern! I take great comfort (hopefully not too much comfort) knowing that even the most seasoned professionals make mistakes, just like me. We’re all human after all!

It turns out that the best answers that I could come up with for my coworker were more “life-lessons” but I’m optimistic that understanding these lessons will help me in my career in some way.

If I turn the question back to those of you reading this, what are some of the biggest lessons that you’ve learned so far?

1 comment:

  1. Great list. I have definitely learned those. I also would add:
    1. Learn to work well with all different kinds of personalities because you are going to be collaborating on everything. That's one thing school didn't prepare me for.
    2. You're going to have TONS of questions.

    ReplyDelete