Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Form Follows Function...Or Does It?



Recently I picked up Conversations With Frank Gehry by Barbara Isenberg after reading a review of it in the latest Architectural Record. I’ve never considered myself a fan of Gehry’s work but I can’t say I’m not continually intrigued and inspired by the work he manages to complete. I have visited a few of Gehry’s projects in the U.S. such as the Disney Concert Hall, Experience Music Project, Weisman Art Museum, and the Pritzker Pavilion and I have to say that they are nothing less than impressive to see in person.

Disney Concert Hall

Experience Music Project


Weisman Art Museum


Pritzker Pavilion


For some reason, however, I cringe at listing Gehry as one of my favorite architects. Maybe it’s his Hollywood celebrity status that disqualifies him in my mind. When I think about what Gehry’s design philosophy is, I can’t help but immediately recall that Simpson’s episode where he gets his inspiration for a town project from a crumpled piece of paper!


After reading through some of Gehry’s interviews, I gained a little more insight into this man’s design philosophy and it posed a familiar question. He approaches a project by designing the object(s) and then designing the space within those objects. It is obvious there is a significant focus on the exterior form of Gehry’s projects. I tend to believe in the more modern approach of form follows function whereas Gehry seems to think the opposite. It is like the age-old philosophical question: What came first, the chicken or the egg? I don’t know about that, but I will go on believing that great architectural spaces are the spaces in between and not the objects that contain them. The objects that contain the space can be crucial to the aesthetic and appeal of that space, but without the space you don’t have architecture. There’s no place.

It is commendable that Gehry’s bold, sculptural projects continue to generate a dialogue concerning architecture among architects and non-architects alike. I think there is a place in this world for people like Frank Gehry, but the space is limited. Bold and intriguing Gehry-esque buildings are fantastic, as long as they are few and far between.

2 comments:

  1. I very much agree. Have you ever watched "The sketches of Frank Gehry"? I'm not usually a huge fan but I thought that movie was really good. I always enjoy looking at architects sketches because a lot of them really do have the same essence as their architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen brief clips but never watched the whole movie. Maybe I'll check it out! As much as I think some of the gestures in his buildings are completely unnecessary, they are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete